Well, it’s been a good week for my DALK recovery. I went back to Dr. Holland for my graft checkup and he said it was perfect. I also corrected to 20/20 on their refraction gear. I had already ordered a new, special soft contact (see last post) and was not able to take it with me to Dr. Holland. He wasn’t bothered by that and said that if the soft lens worked for me, it would be fine for my eye.
The downside to the soft lens (at least the first one I tried) is it corrected me only slightly better than 20/30. This means there is room for improvement. But the comfort is … amazing! The fitter (Tamra at Dr. Koffler’s office here in Lexington) seems to think that I should wear it for a week and then we may want to correct the power to hit near 20/20.
Other questions answered:
- Sutures: We’ll take them out if they degrade. Otherwise, he said, leave them in for now.
- Graft Fragility: I had lots of anxiety about the graft’s fragility, but Dr. Holland told me to quit worrying. It would take a severe trauma to disturb the graft now that it’s healed up.
- Rejection Period: I’m exiting the prime rejection period for DALK.
- Glasses: Dr. Holland said to go ahead and make the lenses for glasses.
- PRK/Lasik is still an option if we cannot make contacts work. Insurance won’t pay for that in KY (or OH.)
- If we run into suture issues (e.g. one breaks) we will remove them all at once.
- He said it was right to stop wearing the RGPs if they were hurting. He said I should be pain free and use whatever gives that to me.